In the first of what will become a regular guest post, we talked to American Soul Singer Lauren Pritchard about inspiration, admiration and perseverance
- B&S: Where are you right now? LP: In my flat in London.
- B&S: What inspires you? LP:Truth, people who speak their mind and stand up for what they believe in, music, good books, good food, even in the recent moments of crisis I find inspiration in seeing how people come together during times of trial.
- B&S: What would you say is your greatest achievement? LP: Being able to do what I love for a living (and still having my sanity!).
- B&S: What is the best piece of advice anyone has ever given you? LP: Listen to your guts, they’re always right.
- B&S: Who do you admire? LP: My parents, my sister-in-law (taking care of little ones is a huge job), my older brother for bravely leaving the US on so many occasions to fight for the USA. I admire the amazing people of Body and Soul for their strength and the awareness their bringing. Joni Mitchell and Billy Joel are songwriter heroes of mine—they’re the epitome of ‘speak your mind’ and I love them.
- B&S: What would your advice be to anyone looking to break into your industry? LP: Keep the faith. The industry is such a challenge and it can be really discouraging. Have faith in what you’re doing and you’ll make it.
- B&S: What’s your favourite quote? LP: “To be is to do–Socrates, To do is to be–John Paul Sartre, Do be do be do–Frank Sinatra”
- B&S: Which word is the most important to you: smile, trust, love or hope? LP: Love.
- B&S: Share an interesting, inspirational or important website with us. LP: http://www.epilepsy.com/ — I’m epileptic and it’s very important for me to spread the word about this. So many people have no idea what it is and are most of the time frightened by it. I want everyone to know we are just normal people too with a bit of a kink in our chain but it doesn’t stop us from persevering.
- B&S: If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be? LP: Right where I am now because fate always has me where I’m meant to be.