We caught up with Teen Spirit volunteer Fleur, who’s taking part in the Brighton Marathon this weekend, to find out how training’s going, and why she agreed to take on such a huge challenge in the first place!
• What’s inspired you to do this challenge?
“Someone told me once that everyone has a marathon in them so I thought it was time to test that theory out. There’s something about running that’s very empowering and the feeling you get when you know you’ve never run as far as you are at that moment is second to none.”
• What’s the best piece of advice anyone has given you about the marathon?
“Eat properly. It’s amazing how easy it is to not eat properly or not eat the right foods and end up feeling absolutely horrible. Someone very helpful gave me some quite unsolicited but extremely useful advice.”
• How did you first get involved in B&S and why are you raising money for us?
“I’ve been volunteering with Body & Soul for a couple of years with Teen Spirit. I’ve gained so much from volunteering, and am struck every time I go to Body & Soul by what a unique, remarkable and inspiring charity it is. This year I wanted to do that little bit more and see what I could raise.”
• What’s the most important thing you have learnt from B&S?
“Nothing’s impossible to overcome, you just have to be prepared to accept assistance on the way.”
• What would your advice be to anyone looking to do a challenge event ?
“Do it. The sense of achievement from training alone is incredible.”
• What’s your favourite quote?
“I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams.”
• Which word is the most important to you: smile, trust, love or hope?
“They are all equally important but this weekend I will definitely be hedging my bets with hope and smile.”
• What will you be listening to when you’re running?
“I’m embarrassed to tell you that my ‘power’ song is Whitney Houston ‘Queen of the Night’”
• What will you be dreaming of as you cross the finish line?
“A pint of beer.”
You can still sponsor Fleur at on JustGiving
“So I’m knackered and everything hurts, but I did it and I’m seriously pleased. I’ve got a couple more sponsorships but am currently at £1498.20 which is great news! Now for a hot bath and some serious food!”